Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Interview: Caridad Pineiro and her new book, South Beach Chicas Catch Their Man

I'm so happy today to be hosting Caridad Pineiro. Her new book, South Beach Chicas Catch Their Man is now out. It's a continuation of the lovely and fun characters that Caridad introduced readers to in her book, Sex and the South Beach Chicas. You can find South Beach Chicas Catch Their Man here and Sex and the South Beach Chicas here.

Caridid was kind enough to answer a few of my questions.

1. You write in several genres. What inspires you in each of them? For the vampires, the desire to write intensely emotional and dark stories is what motivates me. To help inspire me while I work on these, I watch videos and shows that are also dark and emotional, like UNDERWORLD and KING ARTHUR. The need to write the Chicas is all about creating stories about real life women in a city where I can show people a little bit about my Cuban culture. To help inspire me while I work on these, I usually pop in DVDs for romantic comedies. My favorite ones are with Sandra Bullock, such as TWO WEEKS NOTICE or MISS CONGENIALITY.

2. Of all the chicas, why did you pick Sylvia to star in this particular book? Sylvia was a very forceful and demanding character in the first book, so much so that she almost took over Tori's story. In addition, we all loved her mom Virginia and wanted to know what had happened with her and Sylvia's dad. Since Sylvia and Carlos didn't end with a happily-ever-after in the first book, it only seemed natural that we not only finish Sylvia's story, but answer everyone's curiosity about Virginia and Sylvia's dad.

3. Will you be focusing on another chica in a future book? I'm hoping to do Adriana's story next. I think that there are many women who have male best friends and who wonder what would happen if the relationship changed from friends to lovers. The worry that they'll lose that best friend, but they also worry about possibly missing the relationship that was meant to be. Adriana and Riley have started that journey and have become lovers, but I'd like to really explore how they got there and whether becoming lovers was the right thing to do.

4. You capture the emotional turmoil of these women's lives so vividly. How emotional is it for you when you're creating these characters? I get really involved with their lives, to the point where these women have become almost real. I think the fact that they have become so real lets me portray them with great depth and emotion. In turn, the readers sense that and connect with them. That helps to make the story special for readers because they become invested in the characters as much as I became invested in the characters.

5. When can we expect the next book? I'm currently working on the proposal for the next book and hope that it will be acquired. In the meantime, I have a number of paranormals coming from Pocket as well as more books in THE CALLING Vampire series.

Thank you, Caridad, for your answers. You won't want to miss this new book by Caridad. It's a great read!

8 comments:

readingissomuchfun said...

This was a wonderful interview. Great Q & A. Caridad books sounds good. I look forward to reading them :)

Hugssss
LindaH

CrystalG said...

Great interview. I loved your answers.

robynl said...

Give us Adriana and Riley's story please.
Again, congrats on the Golden Apple award.

blackroze37 said...

very nice interview! congrats on your award! so happy for you!!!!

tetewa said...

Congrats on the award you deserve it and I enjoyed the interview!

Kimberly L said...

Loved the interview. Congrats on the award.

ChristyJan said...

Congratulations on the award.

Great interview too.

RachaelfromNJ said...

Great interview! I can't wait to read your book. :)